Helping your Reception class child at home
Here are some ways to help your child with their learning in Reception:
- Encourage personal hygiene – in particular hand-washing after using the toilet.
- Share books regularly with your child. Listen to your child read little and often when they bring a reading book home.
- Encourage independence in dressing and making healthy food choices.
- Help develop your child’s skills in segmenting and blending by playing “robot talk” or “sound-talk” games. Segment CVC words aloud for your child to recognise.
- Practise counting to 20 and encourage your child spot numbers in the environment. Give your child opportunities to count objects and say one more or less than a given number.
- Help your child complete handwriting sitting at a table using a pencil.