Helping your Year 1 child at home
- Children should aim to read to you at least 4 times a week.
- Encourage your child to change their reading books regularly.
- Encourage children to use their Phonic skills and knowledge when they are out and about e.g. reading signs, labels, notices etc.
- Listen to stories and talk about the events and characters and predict what might happen next.
- Help your child to form lower case letters in the correct direction, starting and finishing in the right place (as in the image below).
- Help your child to make good choices when spelling words; encourage them to use their Phonic knowledge.
- Help your child to count up to and beyond 100 in ones; try starting at different places e.g 34, 57 etc.
- Help your child to count forwards and backwards.
- Practise counting in 2s, 5s and 10s up to at least 50.
- Help your child to form numerals correctly and use these to write numbers up to 100.
- Help your child to learn how to spell number words up to twenty.
- Look for and name common shapes in everyday objects e.g circle, square, cube, sphere etc.
The following links will help your child to practise their phonics at home.
https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk/ Login details have been sent out by ParentPay. If you do not have this information, please see class teachers.